What is it about the Transiberian Orchestra blaring on your loudspeakers at 0114 that makes you want to get out and do??? Or maybe it's the mixture of cheap bourbon, good wine, and better friends that reminds you that THIS is why you love New Orleans, THIS is why you never can stay away for long, THIS is why it is and always will be your home. Christmas is approaching, and while the cynics will bitch about commercialism, I relish in the trees, lights, and general merry-ness of my surroundings. I love this time of year, even if it is 80 degrees outside and I couldn't wear my lovely holiday sweater to the annual party this year, and instead went sleeveless. December, and I'm going sleeveless. I love new Orleans. It's the sharing of stories, a million times told, yet your lips still hurting from laughter each and everytime you hear that same old tale. It's surrounding yourself with familiar, comfortable faces, and yet opening yourself up to new ones. Of course, it's the gifts, and the scrounging up enough coin to be able to give just as you receive. It's the hope that people WILL remember what Christmas is all about, and somehow trying to share that message without seeming overly hypocritical or fanatical. I passed Holy Name of Jesus Church on the Avenue the other day. It was even more beautiful than I remember....snow was covering the vast green lawn that surrounded the nativity seen, and families, children, and college kids were wrestling in that snow. I slowed down so I could do a double take. I love New Orleans, where we make snow to play in.
This Christmas and New Years, I hope to never loose my empathy, sympathy, or faith in my neighbors. I want to get more involved with rebuilding MY city, making it into MY vision. New Orleans will always be what we think it is.
We need more great thinkers.
And we especially need more great doers.
Peace everyone,
-C
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment