Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes

I made it till about 10:00 tonight without seeing any Katrina memorials. Sure, I saw some headlines online, but since I have dial-up, I did without the commemorative slide shows, or the "Videos from real survivors." But, Anderson Cooper got the best of me, and I found myself watching his 360 show. Some of it was insightful, touching, direct. Some of it made me want to throw up. So, I turned it off.

I never did finish my Katrina post, and I'm wondering if I ever will. Actually scratch that, I know I will, I'm a Virgo, and I can't leave anything unfinished. I'm depressed for my city, I feel like I've abandoned her, which I have, I suppose. I know that the people who still live there are living psuedo-normal lives; the piles of garbage and abandoned houses becoming normal landscaping. I wonder when I'll go back, and where I'll live. I wonder if the fear of another hurricane will keep me out longer than I ever imagined. I want to go back so desparately, but I don't want to put my family in harm's way again. I know facilities are clambering for medical personnel, especially mental health professionals, but would I want to subject myself to that, reliving people's trauma every day? Hopefully the knowledge of helping someone get through mental anguish would be enough to keep me sane.

Anyway, to my dear New Orleans, I pray that one day you will be stronger than ever, with neighborhoods full of music, food, and people that aren't found anywhere else in this world, with old architecture standing out against modern construction, and street cars rolling down St. Charles once again.

No comments: